The site on Logan Road has been a showgrounds since 1918 and the Mt Gravatt Show has been held here almost continuously since then. There have been short interruptions due to World War II and a period in the 1970s when the Brisbane City Council attempted to sell the site to Myer for a retail development. Following a decade of community-led court action against the Brisbane City Council the community eventually succeeded and the site was once again made available for the purposes of showground, park and recreation. In 1988 the Queensland Government passed the Mt Gravatt Showgrounds Act which established a seven-member Trust to operate the facilities on the site and maintain it in good order for use by the community. Land title to the property vests in the Trust. The trustees are appointed by the Governor-in-Council for three-year renewable terms. The Queensland Government Minister for Sport has responsibility for carriage of the Act. The current buildings on site have been sourced from various places, the most notable being the Memorial Hall (formerly the stock and station agents' building at Cannon Hill saleyards) and the Community Hall (formerly the Evans Deakin draftsmen's building at Rocklea). Other smaller buildings have been sourced and an industrial pavilion constructed. All of these facilities are available for hire by the public. The Trust receives no direct funding from government to cover its maintenance and facilities improvement costs. Whilst being self-supporting in its operations it is able to compete for grant funding from state and local authorities.